Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Look what I found...

...at an estate sale!!!


So the story goes something like this: driving over to the in-laws, see signs for an estate sale, get to the in-laws, ask them if I can leave Liam while I run over to said estate sale, call 20 minutes later to see if I can borrow cash and my father-in-law's truck. I scored big time... this is one of my many finds (most of which I will be sharing with you as I get around to "sprucing" them up a bit).



Okay, so this is the before picture of my little buffet sitting on my back patio awaiting it's painty fate.


This little buffet had potential written all over it. Great curves. Great detail in the legs. Sounds like I'm talking about Heidi Klum rather than a buffet... but I know you guys can appreciate a great piece of furniture when you see one.


Here it is "during." Confession: I didn't sand or prime. I just whipped out my can of Edward's "Whisper" paint (which was leftover from the hallways in our house) and got busy. I painted about 3 coats total... dry brush technique. I wanted to be able to see the paint strokes and a bit of the wood grain underneath.


And here is the big reveal!!!! It was a PERFECT fit for the empty space between our chair and the edge of the stairs. It was estate sale buffet fate, I tell you.



I've been playing around with the decor daily. A little bit of this, a little bit less of that. I am genuinely excited to have a real life "entry table" to decorate. I feel like a real grown up. :)


Here are some pictures of the detailing. I went through with a sheet of sandpaper and distressed all of the edges and curves to really bring out the shape.




Aside from my
dining room chair (yes, as in single chair... I have yet to get around to refinishing it's friend), this is my first official furniture redo. I am hooked. As we speak, I have a goodwill find sitting in the backyard with it's first coat of paint on it. Good times.


And here is my keeping it real picture of my little buffet from last night. Purse on the floor, Pottery Barn boxes to the left, camorder, keys, cell phone, and sippy cup o' milk. Yep, yep.

Sorry to take a break from the regular schedule programming this week (where I am sharing all of the details from my sister's bridal shower, so far here and here), but I just couldn't keep my little buffet a secret any longer.


Linking up to:
http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/2010/09/show-and-tell-get-your-link-on.html
http://www.domestically-speaking.com/2010/09/39th-power-of-paint-party.html
http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net/2010/09/making-book-shelf.html
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/2010/09/sys-blog-link-party-with-say-it-on-wall.html
http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/2010/09/furniture-feature-friday-favorites-and.html
http://www.fingerprintsonthefridge.com/2010/09/feature-yourself-friday_30.html http://decormamma.blogspot.com/2010/09/frugalicious-friday-giveawayitsy-bitsy.html
Simply Designing
Tatertots & Jello
Thrifty Decor Chick
Serenity Now


18 comments:

SalemMomma said...

Very nice! There have been a lot of garage and estate sales around me lately, and I keep saying "After I (eat, clean, whatever), I'm gonna run over there and check it out. See what kind of stuff I'm missing?! I'm totally green.

PMG Smith Family said...

That looks fantastic! I'm actually in the midst of re-doing some dining chairs my husband found for me at a garage sale (5 chairs we needed and a table that I don't know what to do with for $30). I, myself, never actually find anything good. haha

Ostriches Look Funny said...

saweet!
I have that sippy cup.

Staley Mc said...

That looks great! Good job and a good find!

Lori said...

So very perfect for the front hall. Love the "real" life pic.

The Cozy Cape said...

This looks amazing!! Nice find and yeah for great in-laws!! I just redid a table. I found it on Craig's List for 15 bucks. They were going to throw it out!

P.S. I'm now your latest follower!

Sherry from Alabama said...

Love the transformation! The table is beautiful now.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Kristol Faucheux said...

great transformation!! intrigued by the big boxes from PB.

Ashley @ Little Miss Momma said...

Fabulous transformation!!! Great work--and your blog is so adorable {you take great pics}!

Sarah @ threeboys-home.blogspot.com said...

I still can't figure out how to go to estate sales... kids are too little!! Your table is adorable! Nicely done!

Envy My Cooking said...

come hop on over to our blog if you would ever like to be featured or just need new recipes

Mrs. Sutton said...

Absolutely brilliant transformation - well spotted! xx p.s. Great Blog!

Robin said...

great transformation. I love it. It always seem so funny to me that the simplist of things make us feel more "adult". For me it was the day we purchased our mattress set for the master bedroom

Centsational Girl said...

Fab! It fits your space so well, great find! Thanks for sharing, so glad it found a new home!
Just lovely.
xo
Kate

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your table looks so lovely with it's new color and distressing. great job!

Atticmag said...

Don't kill me but that's a mahogany table with banded inlay and one day you might want to change it back to the wood-tone and give it a softer surface. It's perfect in the space. Jane F.

Pieced Pastimes said...

How pretty! You did a lovely job. Can't wait to see what else you found from that estate sale.

Melanie said...

Looks so much better with paint, great job! Love the distressing!

Post a Comment

I heart comments.